profits and prayers



Its Spina Bifida Awareness month but I'm jumping to a totally different topic today. 




Any idea where I'm going with this? Now this is a blog post that I want feedback on. I want to hear what you think.  So look at this as an open discussion.

In almost any church in America you can see this.  










And in and of itself none of these things are bad. As a matter of fact some of these products are pretty stinking awesome.  I've gotten a kitchen with some pampered chef, im typing with jamberry nails and Im wearing marykay makeup. I know you probably think I'm a hypocrite now. But I want you to understand that my problem is not with the product.

12 And Jesus entered the temple2 and drove out all who sold and bought in the temple, and he overturned the tables of fthe money-changers and the seats of those who soldgpigeons. 13 He said to them, “It is written, h‘My house shall be called a house of prayer,’ but iyou make it a den of robbers.”

I dont know about you but the fact that Jesus was angry. That he actually overturned tables makes me step back and hesitate. Makes me want to sit back and think before I do. I certainly wouldnt want Jesus coming back and being angry at what He sees me doing in church.    I believe that there is a great need to network in churches and that is beautiful and awesome and really neat. I love when I see people using Christian businesses and helping them grow. I love when people have good products that I can buy easily. What I dont love is when I feel like church members are being bombarded and hounded and pushed to order, to go to a party, to spend money that maybe they really dont have.   Its frustrating to me and this verse pops into my mind. I think, man, are we any better than them.  With me having a photography business (and I use that term loosely) I feel like I have to be very careful when offering photography to people. I have to make sure that people want/need what I'm offering. That I'm not pushing, guilting or otherwise using my church membership in a way that shouldnt be done.  That if Jesus were standing next to me I would not be getting my pamphlets, catalogs and business cards knocked out of my hands. That if Jesus were standing right next to me He would see that my heart and mind is set on worship, on growing and on changing.  Am I worrying about my profits or my prayers? I think its a balance. But I feel like there are plenty of times we lose that balance. 


And please dont get me wrong. I think fundraisers and things like that are great. I think its great to get our church family involved. And I also dont think its wrong to offer these products. (so please ,please dont put words in my mouth that arent there)  I think its when we take it to the next level. And maybe that level looks different for different people. But I think its a least worth the thought. At least figuring it out. Making sure we arent crossing lines and we arent pushing and shoving and turning God's house into a marketplace for us to make a profit. And honestly thats hard for me to say as most of my photography profit comes from church people. Again I dont think its wrong to offer. (cause guess what!? Ill be offering some fall mini sessions soon as a fundraiser) But hopefully I wont be knocking anyone down and throwing flyers at you in church. I will post it and then wait for interest and if not then I will move on. Because for me thats the level I'm comfortable with. Its what God has put on my heart personally.

I know this wont be a popular post. I know this wont get a lot of shares. But its been on my mind.  and I'm curious. What do you think? What's your take on this? Would you be driven out?  Have we taken it too far in our churches or am I jumping to conclusions?



and just because....seriously how cute is she!!?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wanting you to see both sides of the coin

Toby Walking

Hello Selina